"I can particularly see myself benefitting from the new fitness centres as I generally work out most days of the week. These new facilities will provide a new area for me to engage in something that is part of my everyday lifestyle."
"I think that the new build is going to breathe new life into Athletics and Student Life at Appleby and will definitely shape the way that they run here."
"Being a part of the Appleby community as an athlete and a student, this new building will be highly beneficial for our active lifestyles, sports, and student life."
"Students will be presented with access to state-of-the-art facilities and resources in an environment designed to bolster healthy, active living, challenging programmes and community-gathering like never before at Appleby."
"It promotes an environment of connectedness."
"Practice is where the learning happens."
"The stories of growth, challenge and pride future Appleby Alumni will share for the rest of their lives are going to be made in the A.W.B. Alumni Centre."
"The school's growth and there not being a venue to hold the entire student population, certainly motivated me to get involved."
"The design is magnificent and the facility, especially the gym, is something the school really needs."
"My time has come and gone in many respects, but it's about the future."
Over the course of 2013-2014, Appleby undertook a significant athletic review with our community. Through this rigorous exercise, we have committed to the following:
- Renewed commitment to character and leadership
- Introducing the co-curricular passport allowing three terms of sports for eligible senior students
- Increased Varsity team support: including additional external coaching support, meaningful travel tournaments, facilities and equipment
- Enhanced learning support for student athletes
- Elevating athletics as a centerpiece for the school by bringing our community together
In order to achieve these goals for our students we completed an audit of our existing facilities and how we are currently supporting the Appleby programming. The findings presented us with the existing realities and the current program bottlenecks:
- Not enough gym space - 1956 single gym substantially undersized for athletic activities and assemblies
- Strong need for a larger dedicated performing arts space to accommodate school shows over 150 people
- Size of existing facilities does not support current fitness and health programs
- All classrooms are fully utilized at peak times of day, scheduling of classes is now limited by space, particularly in science
- Aging facilities will need continued rejuvenation and enhancements (arena, pool, etc.)
- This facility (as planned) adds about 40% to the ﬂoor area of the school (excluding residences)
- We are creating many additional spaces: three gyms rather than one, smaller spaces for health and wellness (yoga, stretch classes, meditation etc.), and an 850-seat auditorium
- Our students will enjoy school life more as we’re adding a plethora of social spaces for community activities, informal study or simply “hanging-out”
Athletics & Physical Education:
- Expanded and improved instructional, recreational and intramural programs for all students.
- Signiﬁcantly improved capacity and better locations for intercollegiate practices, allowing for better skills development.
- Appropriate facilities to host more intercollegiate matches and tournaments.
- Establishing high quality ﬁtness and training facilities (all in one place) allowing for better preparation by intercollegiate athletes, and broader participation by all students.
- Adding to expand the range of intercollegiate teams.
- Providing higher-proﬁle opportunities to use athletic matches as community and spirit builders for the entire school.
- Potentially consolidating co-curricular times thereby shortening the school day for many students.
Community & Academic Life:
- Providing more appropriate, safer and conducive space for all school meetings, gatherings, and events in the auditorium gym.
- Creating a stronger sense of community and ‘home’ by enhancing informal student socializing and collaborative dynamics in a large campus room as well as smaller spaces.
- Enhancing our community by providing three large scale locations for speakers, dances, student sales, and other special events.
- Celebrating and promoting Appleby's heritage in an alumni boardroom and elsewhere.
From Appleby College's early days, healthy, active living has been woven into the very fabric of the Appleby experience. Today, through the A.W.B. Alumni Centre for Athletics and Student Life, that commitment is about to be taken to the next level.
In late 2017, the A.W.B. site brought in the construction crane that would be used throughout the rest of the build phase. The crane towers over the Appleby College skyline as a symbol of the exciting changes ahead!
As the weather finally began to warm up, the steel trusses arrived that make up the ceiling of the A.W.B. Alumni Centre's double gym! They came loaded on massive trucks that had to be backed into campus before the crane lifted them into place. See the video on the right for an aerial view of the meticulously planned endeavour.
One of the crowning touches that will truly give us a good sense of what the final build will look like is the installation of the roof. The sheer scale and design will come to life as the construction moves into its next phase!
Check back for more information to come on the installation of the A.W.B. Alumni Centre's roof!
760 days in the making, the Grand Opening and Super Gala has arrived!
Check back for updates and information on the upcoming grand opening of the A.W.B. Alumni Centre for Athletics and Student Life.
Don't miss out on being part of something great!
Should you wish to speak with someone about a gift in support of the A.W.B. Alumni Centre for Athletics and Student Life, please contact:
Director, Advancement Services & Operations
Phone: 905-845-4681, ext. 161