Notice Regarding Academic Inquiries
We would like to share with the Appleby community that Dr. Sarah Morrison, assistant head of school, academics, is taking a temporary leave of absence. During this time, academic inquiries can be directed to Carlos Heleno, executive director, academics at email@example.com.
Reminder - Appleby College Uniform Expectations
Up until the Thanksgiving long weekend students have the option to wear the first dress uniform, or the white Appleby crested polo shirt with or without the Appleby ¼ zip crested sweater as a warmer weather uniform. A "first dress" Appleby uniform includes an Appleby school blazer, plain white or solid light blue dress shirt, Appleby tie, grey pants or Appleby kilt, and black, navy blue or dark grey socks with pants, or navy blue knee-high socks or plain navy blue opaque tights (no patterns, no sheer nylons) with a kilt. Following the Thanksgiving long weekend, and until the May long weekend, students are required to wear the first dress uniform. Following the May long weekend until the end of school in June, students again may choose to wear the warmer weather uniform.
Students should be leaving the house in proper uniform and arriving to school in proper uniform. Hooded sweatshirts (even ones with an Appleby logo), jeans, athletic wear, running shoes (even if they are black) are not permitted during the school day unless there is a very special circumstance involving a travelling team or another specific event. For more information on Appleby’s dress code please review the Standards of School Dress and Appearance.
Bus Routes for 2023-2024 and Departure Times
Students and parents should note that there have been adjustments to the daily bus departure times from Appleby. There are two bus departures on Mondays at 4:10 p.m. and 5:35 p.m.; two bus departures Tuesday through Thursday at 4:00 p.m. and 5:35 p.m.; and there is one bus departure on Fridays at 4:10 p.m.
To view the bus routes for the 2023-2024 school year please click here to access the Transportation site. You will need to enter your Blackbaud ID (BBID) to login. After you have logged-in, you will be taken to the Resources landing page which will show a series of posts. Click on the ‘Transportation’ button to access the routes.
Parent Zoom Calls - Tuesday, September 19, 2023
Please join Innes van Nostrand, Principal and Fraser Grant '87, Head of School & Deputy Principal, as well as members of the school’s Leadership Team on Tuesday, September 19, 2023 as we host our first parent Zoom calls of the 2023-2024 school year. Please join the session that best works with your schedule:
- Tuesday, September 19 at 8:00 a.m. EDT – click here for call-in details
- Tuesday, September 19 at 12:00 p.m. EDT – click here for call-in details
Outdoor Education Information and Key Dates
From Wednesday, September 20 to Friday, September 22, 2023 all Middle One students will be attending a camping excursion to Camp Kandalore in Algonquin Highlands, Ontario.
Upper One students will be visiting the S. Bruce McLaughlin Northern Campus with the class divided into three groups, the two remaining tips are: Trip 2 – Sunday, September 17 to Friday, September 22, 2023 and Trip 3 – Sunday, September 24 to Friday, September 29, 2023. Students will travel with their advisor groups.
All new Senior One and Senior Two students and all Upper Two students that did not attend an Outdoor Education Trip last year will visit the S. Bruce McLaughlin Northern Campus from Friday, September 29 to Wednesday, October 4, 2023. The Senior One Outdoor Leader Trip will run from Wednesday, October 11 to Monday, October 16, 2023.
Trip lists including an overview of the personal equipment students will need to bring with them on their respective trip are available on BBK12 in the Outdoor Education section.
Middle Two Student Trip to Ottawa
As part of Appleby's Middle School Experiential Program, from Wednesday, September 20 to Friday, September 22, 2023, all Middle Two students will participate in a trip to Ottawa, Ontario. The trip will be chaperoned by an experienced Education First (EF) Educational Tours tour director and all Middle Two Home Form advisors. If you have any questions, please contact Alison Yelland, director, Middle School experiential programs.
Residency Status in Canada for Non-Canadian Citizens
Parents whose child(ren) are non-Canadian Citizens are asked to provide the school with up-to-date information on their child's Visa/Permit or Permanent Resident status by completing the Residency Status form in Appleby's education management system - BBK12. To access BBK12 please click here. Once you have clicked on the link you will need to enter your Blackbaud ID (BBID). To complete the form, please click on the yellow banner appearing at the top of the page indicating that you have a form(s) to review.
The Duke of Edinburgh’s Award Program
Last week, Upper One students and new boarders were enrolled in The Duke of Edinburgh’s Award program, and new day students in Upper Two and Senior One will be invited to an upcoming registration session. All students new to Appleby from Upper One through Senior Two will be billed a $50.00 Duke of Edinburgh’s Award Registration fee to their student account in the coming month. We believe that this Award helps students to develop competencies in four different areas that fit into our overall philosophy of a holistic education and belief in experiential education and leadership development. More information about the program can be found here and as well as at the upcoming Global Education department general information session on Wednesday, September 27, 2023.
Global Education Information Session
The Global Education department will be holding a general information session on Wednesday, September 27, 2023 from 7:00 to 9:00 p.m. This session will cover all areas within the Global Education program at Appleby. We will begin in the A.W.B. Alumni Centre for Athletics and Student Life with an overview of the Global Education program and its objectives. Afterwards, the session will move to various breakout rooms which will each focus on an individual area of the department. The breakout session topics include: The Global Leadership Diploma program and course; Global Experiential Programs in March and May; Round Square Exchanges and Conferences; The Duke of Edinburgh’s Award and Middle School Experiential Education. This will be an opportunity to learn more about the Global Education department and its individual areas, as well as a chance to ask questions.
2023-2024 Global Experiential Programs
Appleby has offered global experiential programming for over 20 years and the 2023-2024 school year will continue this legacy. These programs contribute to student learning by fostering community, providing intercultural education, granting opportunities for personal growth and leadership, as well as chances for building teamwork skills, reflective practices and furthering global understanding. November/December 2023 applications are now closed, and the 2024 trips are listed below.
March 2024 (anticipated - applications open in September 2023):
- Argentina (Upper Two to Senior Two Boys) - Rugby and Culture
- Costa Rica (Middle School with Senior Leader positions) – Indigenous Communities, Sustainability and Culture
- Cambodia (Upper Two to Senior Two) - Reconciliation and Community Engagement
- Ecuador (Upper One to Senior Two) - Indigenous Communities and the Natural Environment
- Germany (Upper Two to Senior Two) - German Language, History and Culture
- Greece (Upper One to Senior Two) - Orchestra and Math clubs
- Indonesia, Bali (Upper One to Upper Two) - Environment, Sustainability and Intercultural Understanding
- Senegal (Upper One to Senior Two) - History, Arts and Culture
April/May 2024 (anticipated - applications open in September 2023):
- Iceland (Upper Two) - Sustainability and Climate Change
- Italy (Upper Two) - Blue Zones, Agriculture and Food
- Netherlands, Belgium, France (Upper Two) - History and Culture
More details about March 2024 and April/May 2024 programs will be available in September 2023.
Course Request Changes
The last date to add a new course is Friday, September 29, 2023. Students are required to attend their classes in September even if they intend to put in a request to change. Please note: course change requests by e-mail will not be processed.
Universities Coming to Appleby This Fall – Mark Your Calendars!
Learn more about post-secondary opportunities directly from admissions representatives. Please note that the first hour of each fair will be reserved for Appleby students and families before opening to the public at 7:00 p.m.
International Universities Fair – Tuesday, October 3, 2023, 6:00 to 8:30 p.m., A.W.B. Alumni Centre for Athletics and Student Life Campus Room
Representatives from over 70 institutions in the US, UK, and other international destinations will be at Appleby to speak with students and parents. A full list of participants will be shared in a future issue of Appleby This Week.
Canadian Universities Fair – Tuesday, October 17, 2023, 6:00 to 8:30 p.m., A.W.B. Alumni Centre for Athletics and Student Life Campus Room
Admissions representatives from over 35 universities across Canada will be in attendance to speak with students and parents. From the west coast with the University of British Columbia (UBC), to the east coast with Dalhousie University, and many more in between! A full list of participants will be shared in a future issue of Appleby This Week.
Second-Annual Portfolio Day at Appleby – Thursday, November 2, 2023, 6:00 to 8:30 p.m., A.W.B. Alumni Centre for Athletics and Student Life Campus Room
This is an exciting opportunity for students and families to learn more about university portfolio requirements at prestigious art and design schools from across North America. This event is a rare opportunity for students to receive personalized, one-on-one feedback from university admissions professionals who will review student art portfolios. Students should come prepared to show some of their work – final products are not expected, instead seeking advice during the process is more valuable.
New Policies in Effect
Please review the following policies regarding food delivery, student cell phone usage, and laptops/tablets in the Schlesinger Dining Hall which are also reflected in the Code of Conduct. Thank you for your support.
Food Delivery Policy
- Food deliveries for students are not permitted to campus during the academic week – Monday to Friday. This includes (and is not limited to) food delivery services such as Uber Eats, Skip the Dishes, and DoorDash. Ordering food presents a safety concern with unknown adult contacts. It can also disrupt students’ learning and attendance. Additionally, ordering food does not support the school’s goals around sustainability and regeneration, adding waste and adding to our carbon footprint as a community. Sodexo offers a wide range of healthy meals and snacks throughout the school day, and students may purchase additional snacks from the College Shop. As a school, we will explore offering additional food and beverages on campus to accommodate students’ dietary preferences. If students have questions about this change, they can speak to their School Director or a Sustainability and Regeneration Director.
Cell Phone Policy - Expectations for Student Cell Phone Use
- Appleby students are to leave their cell phones in their bag, blazer or locker (out of sight) during classes, co-curriculars, clubs, community times/assemblies and lunches. Of course, there will be exceptions – for example, if a faculty member has given permission for a cell phone to be used for an academic purpose in class, or if a student is responsible for media creation and official posts on behalf of Appleby. The purpose behind this rule is to limit distractions from the learning experience and promote a respectful learning environment. Students will be asked to put away their phones if they are using them without permission and as always should be striving to uphold the school’s core ethical values. Students who are unable to respect these parameters may have their phones delivered to the appropriate School Director and returned at the end of the day, following a conversation. Should parents need to contact their child immediately for an emergency, they are to call main reception at 905-845-4681 ext. 200 and the administration team will contact the child and have them call home.
Laptops/Tablets in the Schlesinger Dining Hall
- Laptops and tablets are prohibited in the Dining Hall during all lunch periods, or at any other location or time when food is being consumed. The rationale behind this includes and is not limited to, encouraging our students to develop positive social skills, positive interactions with peers, and prevent food damage to the devices.
AP Exams 2023-2024
Appleby College offers 20 AP courses in a variety of disciplines which are taught by trained and experienced AP teachers. In addition, Appleby hosts AP exams in subjects not offered as AP courses to interested students. The complete list can be found at AP Courses and Exams.
AP exam registration is now live. All students interested in writing AP exams must sign in to MyAP with their College Board account (or create one first) and add Join Codes for their respective AP exams. Students enrolled in an AP course will receive a Join Code from their AP teacher. Students who are not enrolled in an AP course must contact Carlos Heleno, director, external academic programs, to receive Join Codes for the exams they are interested in writing.
In recent years, Upper One and Upper Two students have expressed interest in writing AP exams in a wide variety of subjects. Those considering writing AP exams are advised to meet with their guidance counsellor to discuss their reasons.
AP Exam Registration Deadlines
Whether enrolled in an AP course or choosing to self-study for the exam, all students interested in taking an AP exam must register for the AP exam by the Final Ordering Deadline to avoid a late fee.
- Final Ordering Deadline – Wednesday, November 15, 2023
AP Exam Fees
AP exam fees are paid through Appleby student accounts. Charges will appear on student accounts at the end of November reflecting the fee structure below. AP exams ordered prior to Wednesday, November 15, 2023 are $175 CDN. AP exams ordered after Wednesday, November 15, 2023 are $240 CDN ($175 + $65).
- AP Exam Fee – $175 CDN per exam (ordered before Wednesday, November 15, 2023)
- Late Fee – additional $65 CDN per exam (ordered after Wednesday, November 15, 2023)
- Cancellation Fee – $65 CDN per exam (for all exams cancelled after Wednesday, November 15, 2023)
AP Exam Dates
AP exams are written during the Regular AP Exam Schedule. Any conflicts during the Regular AP Exam Schedule will result in students writing during the Late-Testing AP Exam Schedule.
- Regular AP Exam Schedule – Monday, May 6 to Friday, May 17, 2024
- Late-Testing AP Exam Schedule – Wednesday, May 22 to Friday, May 24, 2024
AP Daily resources are available to all students and delivered by experienced and trained AP teachers internationally. AP Classroom resources found at MyAP are only available to students enrolled in AP courses at Appleby.
Brock Research Team Seeking Youth for Solitude and Wellbeing Study
A Brock University research team, the Theory of Mind in Education Lab, is looking for youths (ages 11-18) to participate in a study on the development of child and adolescent social-cognitive skills, identity, and wellbeing. The online sessions will be completed through an interactive, online meeting scheduled at your family's convenience and the study involves questionnaires and responding to short stories and videos. Compensation is provided. Visit the ToME Lab webpage or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more.
Boarding Student Long Weekend Programme
Appleby is excited to continue offering boarding students the option of staying for long weekends throughout the 2023-2024 school year. The Appleby College Boarding Life team put together an exciting Long Weekend Programme designed for students who will be staying on campus. During long weekends, there will be a variety of engaging themed activities and excursions for boarders of their choosing, taking place both on and off campus. Some of those activities may include a Toronto Raptors NBA game, trips to downtown Toronto, a one-day ski trip, go karting, indoor skydiving, Canada’s Wonderland and shopping trips. All meals are included, including some off-campus meals.
Details and an opportunity to sign-up will be shared with students in advance of each long weekend throughout the school year. If you would like more information regarding the Boarding Life Long Weekend Programme, please contact Laura Boyd, orientation coordinator, at email@example.com.
2023-2024 New Family Information Handbook
Appleby's New Family InformatioParent Handbook contains a wealth of information regarding the Appleby experience - from important school year dates, to volunteer opportunities, and standards of dress for your students. Please click here to access it. A copy of the handbook is also available on Appleby's education management system - BBK12.
Appleby's Schlesinger Dining Hall Menu
Each week, the Sodexo team at Appleby prepares a range of menu options for students and employees at theschool. Please click here for this week's menu. Students are encouraged to share their feedback, suggestions,and/or comments about the food, menus, their lunch experience, etc. Please send an e-mail to
firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know what you think!
2023-2024 Appleby College Calendar
Please click here to view the 2023-2024 Appleby College school year calendar.
Current E-mail Addresses
ATW is sent to all e-mail addresses the school has on file. If your contact information changes, or if you prefer to have ATW sent to a particular address, please e-mail Bioupdates.