LEGAL AND PRIVACY INFORMATION
Principles of Fair Information Management: Appleby College (“Appleby”, “we”, “our”) collects personal information about students applying to Appleby and their families, students and their families, individuals applying to teach or provide other services at Appleby, our suppliers and individuals using our facilities or programs. Appleby collects personal information through a variety of means, including through its website and electronic registration system, and uses personal information for multiple purposes related to school operations including:
- school administration
- administration of health services
- administration of residential life, facilities and programs
- alumni communications, programs and services
- business operations
- establishing, administering, managing and terminating employee, independent contractor, volunteer, service provider, client relationships
- managing post‑employment and post‑volunteer relationships
- accounting, insurance, procurement
- mandatory reporting
- providing insights into our admission activities
- supporting our development efforts
- responding to requests for information or services
Appleby is a not-for-profit, charitable organization and has voluntarily adopted the following principles to guide its personal information management:
- individuals should have information about how their personal information will be used so as to be able to refuse a service for which the information is required
- the collection, use and disclosure of personal information should be limited to that required for a particular purpose
- reasonable means should be employed to protect personal information against unauthorized use and disclosure
- in general, individuals should be advised of the personal information about them on record and be able to request its correction
Privacy Law: Appleby’s collection, use and disclosure of personal information in connection with a limited set of its services, for example the rental of its facilities for an event or program, is governed by the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA), which is one of the privacy laws applicable in Ontario. PIPEDA is administered by the Privacy Commissioner of Canada whose website can be found at: http://www.priv.gc.ca/index_e.cfm.
Network: The Appleby College Network User Policy (“Acceptable Use Policy” or “AUP”) governs the use of our network by members of the Appleby College community, including students, parents, alumni, and employees.
Website: We collect the domain name (IP address) of visitors to our Web site, their operating system (Windows, Mac, other) and browser (Explorer, Netscape, other) and information about the pages that are visited. We also collect the e-mail addresses of those who communicate with us via e-mail and other personal information volunteered by the user, such as information in response to a survey and or provided for registration purposes. We aggregate the information we collect about traffic patters on our Web site, so that it does not identify individual users. We use the information we collect through the website, in the aggregate where possible, to evaluate our website, communications, services and programs and improve the content of our Web site and make other changes where our information indicates they are warranted. We may use the personal information we collect to notify users about updates to our Web site.
Service Providers: We do not sell, rent, or lend personal information we collect, although we may share it with individuals and organizations we retain to assist us in providing our services and administering our operations, such as providers of information technology services. Some of our service providers are located in the United States and personal information transferred to those service providers may be accessed under U.S. law by a U.S. government or its agencies.
Disclosure: We may disclose personal information where required for the purposes for which we collect the information, to administer our operations, including to purchase insurance and file insurance claims and where required to comply with a subpoena or other lawful disclosure order. We may disclose personal information in the context of a business transaction or restructuring of Appleby, including to carry out the due diligence required to decide whether to proceed with a transaction or restructuring.
If you provide information about a person other than yourself, Appleby will assume that you have the person's consent or are otherwise authorized to do so.
If you have provided us with your email or postal address and decide that you no longer want to receive e-mail or periodic mailings from us, or if you would like any additional information about our personal information management practices, please let us know by contacting us by email or post as indicated below.
Appleby College, 540 Lakeshore Road West, Oakville, Ontario, Canada L6K 3P1